The awful milk monster has struck again...the milk protein sensitivity monster, that is. We've had Millie on a special formula for babies that have the milk protein sensitivity, Similac Alimentum. When we went to her 9 month pediatrician appt two weeks ago, her doctor wanted us to move her over to a milk-based formula. I've been gradually adding it into her diet these past 2 weeks, and she is now completely weaned of breastfeeding, so she gets her full 24 oz. a day all from formula. Apparently, little miss Millie is not ready for dairy yet, evidenced by the nasty diarrhea that has hit full-force this weekend. The protein sensitivity is something that builds in their system, so it wouldn't have caused this problem the first time I gave her the milk-based formula. However, after two weeks, I guess her system had had enough. And what's worse, it takes a full 48 hours to leave her system; just stopping the milk-based formula isn't enough to stop the diarrhea immediately. Our poor baby...her little bottom is raw and she cries every time I change her diaper now. We went to the dr. this morning, where she instructed us to get back to only the Alimentum formula for a full month, then we'll start easing her into the milk-based again. If by a year old she still can't tolerate it, then we'll have to go to an allergist. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. In the meantime, we're just hanging at home in our jammies today; she was running a low grade temp yesterday and doesn't seem to be 100% herself. I think we'll just take it easy for awhile and let her system get back to normal. No complaints here. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment