Mills & Syd

Mills & Syd

Friday, April 11, 2014

Currently

It's like this: your kid turns two and you're terrified of the "terrible two's".  You make it through 2/3 of the year thinking, meh...this isn't so bad.  Then...SHAZAM.  What. Just. Happened.  Our happy Millie turned into an angry tween.  In fact, she'll tell you "I'm angry!", but she can't tell you why.  There is no rhyme or reason.  The strangest things set her off, and if you don't let her do something herself, it is cause for meltdown.  If you make her share or take turns with other kids...meltdown.  If you put the lid on her cup yourself or take her shoes off yourself...meltdown.  She wanted to do it.  Then she throws stuff and kicks things as her little outlet; poor Syd and Beansie have taken a beating lately.  We've hit ALL of the stereotypical milestones for bad toddler behavior, and potty training is taking it to a whole new level.  We definitely waited too long to start and there is no part of her that wants to please us, these days.

Thankfully, the temps have warmed up because the girls don't wear much clothing these days.
The lighting is terrible, but can you see the chocolate on Syd's face??  Me: "Millie, did you give her chocolate?"  Millie: "no".  Really?!  She's already lying to me?!  She also lies about her pants being wet.  Sigh...
Last weekend, I ran a local 5K.  Run is such a strong word.  Jog...jog is definitely a better description.    My time was 32:56, but I didn't walk at all...so I'm okay with it.  I really don't like running.  I wanted to do some races to set exercise goals for myself, but man, my body hurts...knees, feet, back.  I can't imagine how people feel who are training for marathons.  No thanks.   I have one more run at the end of April to fulfill my New Year's resolution and then I'm going back to my normal aerobic-type exercises.  It did feel good to be out exercising so early in the morning with others though!  I'm so used to exercising alone now; can't wait to get back to a gym some day.
Syd has that little tongue out ALL THE TIME.  She is the cutest.
Just to get out of the house, we made a little venture to Boingo Bounce earlier this week.  I knew there would be potty accidents, but we can't stay home forever.  We met another friend there and it was really fun!
Millie & Elle had so much fun together
Elle is the best poser in town.  Cracks me up every time.
Syd's ticklish.  And apparently, she has Spring allergies.  Her nose has been a bit gunked up this week.


How can she be so sweet and then, all of a sudden, be yelling at me to not pop her bubbles?  Or touch her foot.  Or take her picture.
She's outside, undies only, yelling to people on the walking trail "hello, my name is Millie".  I'm going to have to be better about putting clothes on her this Summer.  I say that with so little conviction...it's not worth the fight.
Syd's toes are sooooo long, I'm surprised she's not holding the bottle with those monkey feet.
Super, triple sweetness will be 11 months next week!
Real talk: there has been a bit of a dark cloud hanging over our house since the beginning of 2014 when we found out that Bubba was gone.  The Winter blues, cabin fever, terrible twos, potty training, cranky sick babies, etc. have all contributed, and I'm ready to get back to our happier selves.  I don't really have a plan to get there, but I think the Spring weather and getting back outside is helping all of our moods.  This stay-at-home-mom business is way tougher than I thought it was going to be.  I didn't really have any idea what I was getting into...does anybody?!  There are just so many things you can't understand until you have kids.  I really had no idea.  I feel like some days there are hundreds of frustrating/exhausting/annoying things that happen and only a handful of good moments.  But the thing you can't describe to your pre-kid self is that those good moments are glorious and totally make up for the other stuff.  Most of the time.  Sometimes it doesn't feel like it at the end of the day, but the next morning I wake up and am still so happy to see each of their little faces.  Some days I question my ability to stay home with them and do right by them...other days I know I'm what's best for them.  When those girls have babies some day, I want them to look back at this blog and get a good feel for what our life was like.  I don't want them to think it was all cake...it wasn't.  It's hard and I really struggle with my patience and understanding.  But I also don't want to write post after post about how hard it has been...because in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't.  I do know this.  We are all healthy and have everything we need.  I am so grateful for this.  It's just hard to remember that at 4pm on a Tuesday when Millie is yelling at me for giving her the small goldfish crackers instead of the big ones.  We are working on using our "kind voice". ;)  Also, I'd like to apologize to all of my sisters-in-law and brother for being so indifferent when you guys had small children.  I just didn't know.  Leann (you especially for running a daycare) if I had known how much you were craving adult conversation, I would've driven over on my lunch hour at least once a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment